Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rain

It's raining, it's pouring .......... and it's really dark because of the cloud cover. I can't speak for the rest of the country but Tregear is no where near a drought. With this much rain I'd be wondering about the creek flooding again! I heard an interesting bit of trivia on Time Team last night - they were talking about a heavy clay area they were working on and described it as being created milimetre by milimetre each time the area flooded. It's created by very fine particles floating in the water being laid down... and we have so much clay around here it makes me wonder just how bad the floods from Ropes Creek have been in times past. The creek has flooded since I've lived here, I've seen Tregear Reserve covered in water, my neighbor has seen the reserve fill with water up to the edge of the road. Each time it rains like this I find myself wondering if it's going to go again. The two main ways out of Tregear are across the creek, on Forrester and Debrincat. Both those bridges are about the same height and so they both go under about the same time. There's now a new bridge, in Ropes Crossing. It seems higher, but the next flood will tell us. The rain radar is interesting - http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR033.shtml , shows the rain covering the whole of Sydney this morning. Have a fun day...

And there was hail the day before yesterday. Very small and it didn't last long but it made a racket.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow a new bridge, I'll have to check it out, is it near the new entry? Whats with all the old concrete slabs chucked in the bush on the left hand side on Forrester road on the way from Tregear? I think they have been there for donkeys years. It's about time they put a footpath in that section of road too. I see heaps of people walking that way, one day someone will get run over!

julanna said...

Yes, the bridge is near the entry down near the entrance to the industrial area. And you're right, the concrete has been there for years, it just wasn't so obvious until the last fire through there showed it up. And a footpath does sound wonderful, except I think it should be on the other side coz I'm always convinced I'm going to end up in that ditch when I ride my bike down there.