Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Flowers this time.

When I first saw this I was very excited, I'd never seen it before and I was hoping it was a native plant. I saw it first about 5 years ago but I didn't have a camera with me. I couldn't find any info about it and I obviously haven't been in the reserve at the right time since. So, it's Herbertia lahue subsp. caerulea, also known as Prairie Nymph. It's an Iris, introduced, naturalised, mild weed. Very pretty though. It comes from North America. There are other pics on the net but this is the only pic I've seen with the yellow markings, so maybe we have an interesting colour variation. Seeing as it isn't a native plant it doesn't matter if some are taken out of the reserve. I'd like to see what this pretty would do with a bit of water and fertiliser. And thanks to the Botanical Information Service on the Royal Botanic Gardens site for the confirmation of the id.

No comments: